|Extent of Description||1 box; .5 c.f.|
|Catalog Number||Collection No. 192|
|Scope & Content||
Abstract: A collection of postcards, photographic prints and other ephemera relating primarily to Flemington and Readington Township, in particular the Three Bridges section collected by Thelma Miller. The collection contrasts photographs of subjects from the late 19th and early to mid-20th century with those same subjects in the 1990's. This collection would interest anyone researching Flemington and Readington Township, as well as historic preservationists.
Scope & Content: This collection is composed of 83 folders in one box.
The collection includes:
- Postcards of early 20th century Flemington and Readington, including noteworthy buildings, industry, churches and landmarks
- Photographs of Flemington, including noteworthy houses and landmarks
- Photographs of Readington Township, including the Centerville Stagecoach Barn, Rowlands Mill (in Higginsville), and historic bridges over the South Branch at Higginsville and Rockefellows Mill
- Photographs of Three Bridges, including most businesses extant at the start of the 20th century, the Lehigh Valley Railroad and Central Railroad of New Jersey facilities, and significant buildings.
Thelma Kline Miller was born in Three Bridges, Readington Township in 1916, the daughter of David and Ethel Higgins Kline. She graduated from Flemington high School in 1935 and was employed at the Flemington Auction Market and at American Cyanamid in Bound Brook. She was also a secretary for the Three Bridges School, retiring in 1981.
Mrs. Miller was the unofficial historian of Three Bridges. She compiled numerous scrapbooks about events in the area of Three Bridges and other parts of Hunterdon County commencing in the 1930's. She was also known for her massive collection of "cultural history" about Charles Lindbergh, his life, his famous flight and the kidnapping of his son and subsequent trial.
Mrs. Miller died January 29, 2005 at the age of 88.
|Access Conditions||Manuscript collections may only be viewed at the Hiram E. Deats Memorial Library on days the Society is open for business, or during appointments for research purposes that are pre-arranged with the Society’s Executive Director. The retrieval and use of manuscripts, microfilm, and other library materials ends 15 minutes prior to closing time of each open business day.|