|Title||Papers of the Hunterdon County Chapter of the American Cancer Society|
|Extent of Description||1 box; .5 linear feet.|
|Catalog Number||Collection No. 155|
|Scope & Content||
Abstract/Scope and Content: This collection contains the Minutes of the Hunterdon County Chapter of the American Cancer Society, 1946-1986. Also inlcuded is the Chapter's Charter, and the attendance lists for the Board of Managers, 1965-1986. The minutes of the chapter are an excellent source of information documenting the history, organization, activities, resolutions, and concerns of this philanthropic charitable organization,and the role it has played in Hunterdon County's history. The minutes also specify the names of officers, managers, and many members during the years documented.
The American Cancer Society was founded in 1913 as the American Society for the Control of Cancer. The goals of the organization have always been to help people survive cancer by taking care of their needs and caring for them, as well as to fund research to find additional treatments and cures. The organization changed its name to the current one on 1944, after it had more or less successfully helped to remove the negative stigma of the word cancer and its associated diseases.
The Hunterdon County Chapter was granted a charter on 8/15/1946. This is the same date as the organizational meeting for the Chapter. The meeting was held at the Armory in Flemington, NJ. The officers elected were President Mrs. Roy Hall, Vice President Wesley Lance, Secretary Mrs. W.H. Bellis, and Treasurer Mr. William J. Kinnamon. By-Laws were adopted as well. Over the next subsequent meetings, other officers and volunteer positions were named and the work of the chapter was formalized along American Cancer Society procedural lines.
The chief activities of the group throughout the years covered by these minutes includes producing, purchasing and distributing medical supplies for cancer patients; providing medical assistance and palliative support; and fundraising for the purposes of funding cancer treatment and cure research and continuance of operational support.
CONDITIONS GOVERNING ACCESS
Manuscript collections may only be viewed at the Hiram E. Deats Memorial Library. The Hiram E. Deats Memorial Library, the Library and Archives of the Hunterdon County Historical Society, is open for business every Thursday (except for major holidays), 12 Noon to 4 PM, and the second and fourth Saturday of each month, from 10 AM to 4 PM. Appointments for research purposes may also be pre-arranged with the Society's Executive Director. The retrieval and use of manuscripts, microfilm, and other library materials ends 15 minutes prior to closing time of each open business day.