|Title||Records of the Kingwood Presbyterian Church Cemetery Associaton|
|Extent of Description||1 Box; .5 linear ft.|
|Catalog Number||Collection No. 149|
|Scope & Content||
Abstract: This collection contains records from the Kingwood Presbyterian Cemetery Association. The records include two sets of minutes, foundational documents, correspondence to and from Hiram E. Deats (A trustee and officer) and other board members; and other miscellaneous documents. The collection also includes 4 photographs. This collection would be of interest to anyone researching the Kingwood Presbyterian Church, Kingwood Township History, or personalities that were members of the organization.
Scope and Content:
Minutes (Folders 1-3; 1925-1979)
Correspondence (Folders 4-9; 1924-1949)
Foundational Documents (Folder 10, 1924)
Newspaper Clippings (Folder 11, 1931-1938)
Minutes (Folders 12-15, 1933-1968)
Deeds, Summaries, and notes (Folder 16, n.d.)
Bills, Receipts (Folder 17, 1933-1937)
Photographs (Folders 18-21, 1929-1937)
The Kingwood Presbyterian Church Cemetery Association was offically incorporated June 16, 1926. The organization unoffically started in 1924, when concerned individuals from the church congregation formed to explore the possibility of creating a perpetual care organization for the cemtery. This group was recognized by the church when they passed a resolution on November 11, 1925, directing the Board of Trustees to convey the cemetery to a corporation formed to care and preserve the old burying ground.
The original Board of Trustees of the Association included Mrs. Merritt Walker, President, Mrs. R.C. Wilson, Mrs. Catherine Rittenhouse, Mr. James Ashcroft, Mr. Joseph Houghton, and Mr. Leland Deats. Later, Hiram E. Deats became president of the Association, and Maud Little Wilson joined the Board as well.
The minutes in this collection end in the year 1978. ISince 1979, the Kingwood Presbyterian Church Cemetery has been owned by the Township of Kingwood and the Cemetery has been renamed the Oak Summit Cemetery.
|Access Conditions||Manuscript collections may only be viewed at the Hiram E. Deats Memorial Library. The Hiram E. Deats Memorial Library, the Library and Archives of the Hunterdon County Historical Society, is open for business every Thursday (except for major holidays), 12 Noon to 4 PM, and the second and fourth Saturday of each month, from 10 AM to 4 PM. Appointments for research purposes may also be pre-arranged with the Society’s Executive Director. The retrieval and use of manuscripts, microfilm, and other library materials ends 15 minutes prior to closing time of each open business day.|